Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The backyard

Xavier, Kaylee, and Eli




Our backyard has been driving us crazy. besides the fact that it looks horrible the amount of dirt that comes in is maddening. And it isn't regular dirt, it is like ash. So take a few kids cover them with baby powder then send them running through the house. Our solution, Sod. Instant lawn. Almost. We, and by we I mean mostly Derek, his friend Manny, and I spread 24 cubic yards of topsoil in one day and laid 3000 square feet of sod the next. Xavier spent a long time helping shovel dirt into the wheel barrows. We also put up a fence, set 13 railroad ties, and planted climbing plants along the fence, ground cover, flowers, and vegetables. I hope that everything grows OK. I do have a bit of a brown thumb. I have never grown vegetables before so we shall see. I had considered having the hill leveled before we put in a lawn but I am glad we didn't, the kids like rolling and running down as well as slip-n-sliding. I love my backyard!!!

No comments: