Tuesday, November 3, 2009

First Day




Sending Xavier off to first grade was much different than Alexandra had been. She was always ready to go and didn't have much problem being away from home. Xavier is very much a homebody. He is like me that way. We had gone to meet your teacher the night before and checked out the new school. The kids were excited. Xavier was a bit nervous but was happy he got to finally ride the bus. I was nervous because this was the first time Xavier would be gone longer than the 3 hours of Kindergarten. When he got off the bus at home he was glad that school was over. I asked how it had gone and apparently he had spent a good part of the day crying. I told him that it will get easier and tomorrow will be better. His response "but mom, I'm not going back." Uuuh what? This was only the beginning. We have had many horrible morning battles trying to get him out of bed, dressed and on the bus. Some days I would just be mad that he was acting so defiant. Other days I genuinely felt sorry for him because he seemed terrified. He was having lots of anxiety as to what might happen. After missing 3 days the second week I drove him to school and walked him to his class. It was awful. He was crying the whole time which got me all teary eyed. I felt so horrible leaving him there screaming. A couple days the school councilor had sat in the class with him. My dad gave him a blessing that it would get better and he would make a friend that would make things easier. I know it helped the very next day he came home and told me about Hunter. He was so excited. Within 2 weeks Hunter was moved to the new first grade class they were starting because of too many students. Xavier didn't' want to go back. Not until end of October has Xavier accepted that he has to go to school. He still asks how many days until a day off or if there are any early release days in the week. I had seriously considered home schooling instead I decided to quit doing daycare. I will be able to help in his class or just give him more attention when he gets home in the afternoon. I am so unbelievable blessed that I have Derek's support on this. We have both recognized the needs of our children and the effects of having other kids in our home all the time. It will be a change to go back to one income but I know the blessings will be great. I hope to get back into school a couple hours a day and get my nursing degree. So I can work when my kids are all in school full time.

No comments: