Friday, July 18, 2008

Soccer Tournament





Once again Derek has gotten me to do something he signed up to do like fishing. But again it turned out great. Derek was planning on taking Alexandra to a soccer tournament in Spokane or at least go with us. Instead I got to go with the 4 kids alone. We had to get up a little early to get snacks, gas and meet up with the team at Burger King by 7. Vanessa cried the first 45 minutes. And by cry I mean kick, scream, and fight to get out of her car seat. I thought for sure she would fall asleep, which she did 2 minutes before the caravan of cars pulled over at the rest stop. She woke up and cried the rest of the way. Next time I am getting directions and going on my own. We get to a beautiful park by 9 first game is at 10. The girls all get dressed in their uniforms and get their hair up. Wendy, the coach, sprays all the girls hair blue. Of coarse Xavier, Eli and Vanessa want blue hair. The game itself was hard to watch. The other team was 2 years older and very skilled. But the girls didn't seem to mind the loss. We had a three hour break until the second game. I don't know Spokane well enough to feel I could venture out and find my way back in time so we had lunch at the concession stand, yum. Actually it was ok, they had sub sandwiches. Most of the other parents stayed there as well. The team had a big canopy set up so we stayed in the shade. Xavier, Eli, and Vanessa were great the whole time. Never asking to leave or complain about being bored. The second game was against girls 2 years older again but better matched. Even with a second loss our team played very well against them. Alexandra had a few good runs down the field with the ball. She has improved tremendously this summer. She is much more comfortable with the ball. There was another game on Sunday but we had decided before hand we would just come home Saturday night and not play in the Sunday game. I was impressed by Alexandra's decision. She told me before I said anything that she did not want to play on a Sunday. That game was against the other U8 team and our team had won bringing home the trophy. Even though some of the girls weren't there for that game they were very much a part of the team celebrating together on Monday.

Back to Saturday after the game. I took the 4 kids to the mall. I wanted to go to a couple of stores. We ended up having dinner there, Chinese. After getting the boys new shoes and the girls including me a few outfits we headed home. Vanessa slept most of the way. Unfortunately, Eli whined for most of the ride. But it was fun and I loved the time with the kids.

1 comment:

Kimber said...

Yaaay Alexandra! I'm so glad she is liking soccer--and can make good choices, at the same time about Sunday.

You need to post pics of your house completed from the outside. Since you're so far away and I never get a chance to see it . . .